Beaux R'eves

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cut the Clutter for the New Year

Happy New Year Everyone!  I'm sure by now you've thought about your resolutions (hopefully over a cup of hot coffee this morning) maybe even written some down and are now ready to roll.
2012 is like a clean slate.
  A new start.  
A new beginning.  

In my work as a Home Stager my first order of business when I walk into an occupied home is to convince the homeowners to De-Clutter, Depersonalize, and increase traffic flow in order to sell their home quickly and for the highest price possible.  Now, you may not be selling your home but a lot of these same tips can apply to enhance your home for daily living. 

Let's take a look at a home I recently Staged as an example. This home was built in 1925 and is an adorable little house.
 Here is the before picture of the Living Room, the first room you see when you walk into the home.  There is a lot going on here and your eyes aren't sure where to rest.  The fireplace or the shelves on top of the windows? What is it that we want our buyers to see and be "Wowed" by?
 Here is another view as we look into the Dining Room. 
 And another view into the sunporch.

And here is what a little paint and De-Cluttering can do!
 Don't you just look at it now and go "Ahhhhh"
It seems so much more restful and inviting doesn't it?  

Here are the changes that were made:
  • The room was Painted in a neutral color Patience Sherwin Williams SW7555.  This is my go to color for secondary Bedrooms and Bathrooms. 
  • I asked the homeowner to pack away any accessory item that was smaller than a football.
  • We removed the green drapes but  left the white sheers hanging on the windows.
  • The Homeowner removed the shelves over the drapes.
  • I rearranged the furniture and found the console behind the sofa in another room. 
  • I moved the two end tables together to form a coffee table and added in a few of my own accessories to update the room. 
                                    
 Now this is a room I could spend a lot of time in!

Happy New Year and Happy De-Cluttering in 2012!

Hope you enjoyed my "Before and After"  
***Note- This house sold in 7 weeks***

 
Linking up at  

Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday 
















17 click here to Comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice!

dee dee said...

I love the simple changes you made to this room! You must be very good at what you do! Great job!
Dee Dee

Anita @ Sweet Southern Breeze said...

Love the difference your changes made in this room! Wow! Amazing...
Anita at Sweet Southern Breeze

Blondie's Journal said...

The transformation is amazing! I love the room arrangement you made...that has the most impact besides the decluttering. Ready to do my home?? ;-D

XO,
Jane

Connie said...

A wonderful improvement. I think the stairway is beautiful but...in the before,all I could see were vertical and horizonal lines. So much nicer with the paint on the walls and the stripes removed. You did a great job.

Maria said...

Wow! I love this! Great wall color, too! I've been thinking of decluttering my Family Room. Too many picture frames and little knick knacks on the shelves. Thank you for the inspiration!

Julie said...

I like what you did to this room, I would love it if you shared it here:

http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2011/12/show-your-stuff-4.html

Leslie's Garden said...

Wonderful redo, and I found it interesting that you advised to remove anything smaller than a football! I'll be using that advice!

MaryEllen said...

Wow, what a difference! Your "magic" certainly made a remarkable improvement in this room.

Michelle@someday crafts said...

Great example. I love the decluttered room. I am featuring this post at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

Janet said...

It's amazing how you transformed this room, you're right, it's much more peaceful and relazing now. Beautifully done!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Lovely transformation - very nice job!

Suffia said...

Love the new look. Very relaxing. Great job!

abeachcottage said...

Really nice transformation. You did a great job, well done!

PamLuvsPink said...

I too found the room very busy, but, in the after picture I found it didn't do anything for me. No warmth, no invitation to sit awhile. Sorry, couldn't put my finger on it.

PamLuvsPink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heritagestitchery said...

Smaller than a football? Just think of the exquisite pieces that
would be "stored"away, never to see
the light of day... The key is to
go one step further and know how
to arrange those smaller than a football pieces in a balanced and
appealing way, displaying your
taste while setting a welcoming
stage.

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".