Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stop PINNING and DO Something!

Ooops sorry, that was my inner dialogue speaking...
Are you ADDICTED to Pinterest like I am? 

Hours have been lost to Pinning my favorite rooms or wonderful new craft ideas.  I had to ban myself and I can only PIN if I am walking on the Treadmill. I use my IPAD and just PIN away!  It's working so far...

The problem with all that Pinning though was, besides Inspiration for Design Ideas, what was all this Pinning getting me?  (well hopefully my backside will move a little up to the North).  

So, I decided to pick something each week and put these ideas to the test.  Probably not a NEW idea but I figured it would be fun.
pinned from Pinterest Realsimple.com
 Cleaning Silver
After visiting an Estate Sale this weekend with Mom I had a reason to break out the Pinterest idea file.  Somewhere in there I had Pinned a tutorial for Cleaning Silver.  I had purchased a couple of items at 1/2 off as it was the last day of the sale and they just wanted to get rid of everything.  Didn't see much that interested me except a couple of silver bowls that were hidden down in the basement.  

Let's clean them up a bit:

Tutorial says:
" To polish silver: Wash items, then place on aluminum foil in the bottom of a pot. Add a baking-soda solution (¼ cup soda, a few teaspoons salt, 1 quart boiling water) and cover for a few seconds. The result? A chemical reaction that gets the black off the gravy boat."
Lets see the Result:
 WOWIE!!!
 What a difference!  I still need to get in and polish up the inside a little bit, but, overall I think it looks fantastic. 
 Good enough for Company or just a bit of tea for One...

Have you Pinned anything that you've given a try lately?  I'd love to know!

Side note: I looked up my bowl (the one on the left) on ebay... The EXACT bowl is for sale "Vintage Gorham Silver Plate" with the same markings as mine for $24.95.  I guess at $1.00 I got a good deal.

Sharing at:
 Tutus and Tea Parties
Beth at The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at
DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
Paula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday

Someday Crafts for Whatever Wednesday


11 click here to Comment:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Great estate buy! And the homemade tarnish remover is a great idea!!

Unknown said...

Nice job Cindy..cant wait to see what you do next. By the way, the Birthday cake looks so yummy..bet it went fast! and the picture of your boy is a treasure. loved the skinned knees..

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Wow, what a great find!! And the silver looks great!

Unknown said...

Thanks Shirley, they grow up too fast don't they?

Leslie's Garden said...

Good for you to actually try something from all your viewing! I too have found I spend hours looking at what OTHERS do! I gotta get myself in gear! Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial! Can't wait to try the silver cleaning! I have just the bowl to try it out on!

Anonymous said...

You got me! I had no idea what Pinterest or Pinning was and it looks like a lot of fun. The "how to" for silver cleaning was an education too.

Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday to Tyler. The cake looked great.

Denver, CO

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

This is exactly how I polish my silver. Of course, none of it is heirloom, but rather pieces I pick up all over the place at flea markets and yard sales....it works so great!! And easy!

Lou Cinda

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Congratulations!! You have been awarded the Liebster Award for great blogs with less than 200 friends! Go to my post to read all about it!!

http://southernjunkin.blogspot.com/2012/01/award.html

Blessings!!

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

What a fantastic idea and tutorial...thanks so much...I'll be trying this method :) Love your blog...I'm your newest follower and look forward to exploring your lovely blog more...
Big hugs,
Queenie

Something Nice and Pretty said...

That sure worked! How great that you got the ebay one for a $1.00.

♥Rondell

Deanna said...

yes, u did get a great deal!

God bless,
d from kansas

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".