Beaux R'eves

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ruffled Breakfast Tray Tutorial

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get this out to you... Mr. Beaux decided to spend the weekend in the Hospital with an irregular heart beat or A-Fib as all the Cardiologists were calling it.  Scary, I'll tell you but nothing serious it turns out, just more of a nuisance.  If it isn't controlled and "reset" then there can be other complications.  Glad he's better and I have him on "Lockdown" for the rest of the weekend! (Which is fine with him as all the FOOTBALL games are on today).  

So On with the Tutorial!
 Here is the Breakfast Tray that I introduced to you last week.  Don't even ask me what gave me the idea to paint it and put ruffles on it because I have no idea.  I was trying to think a romantic "tablescape" idea and I woke up (literally) with this!
I had all of the items on hand... 
Tray, paint, fabric, floral picture, Modge Podge, and the only item I bought was the trim.


Do you have one of these trays lying around somewhere?
I lightly sanded the tray and  painted two coats of  Benjamin Moore's HC-144 Palladian Blue (the color of my ceilings in the Dining Room and Living Room...ooooohhhhh so pretty!) onto the tray.  I didn't worry about the white part of the tray chipping because I knew that I would be putting Modge Podge over it and that would seal it.

I have a lovely old botanical book that I have been saving to cut the pictures out and frame them but I have not gotten around to that yet.  I photocopied one of the pages onto cardstock and cut around the flowers, Modge Podged it and put around 5 coats on the top.  This picture is with two coats.  I also distressed the edges of the tray with sandpaper.  

Here comes the time consuming part...  
  • I had some fabric left over from a costume for my daughter when she was in the play "Tom Sawyer".  I measured around the underside lip of the tray and cut a piece of cotton lining fabric that length plus a few inches. 
  • I measured the drop from the tray to the floor which was about 6 inches or so and cut that. 
  • I basically figured that I wanted three ruffles which would overlap each other.... and Viola I mathematically came up (haha if you believe that...) with 4 inches for each ruffle. 
  • I cut all of the strips, sewed a hem on each one and then sewed about three strips together ( again, all mathematically deduced of course).
  • There are a couple of ways to make a ruffle, you can put in a basting stitch and gather it or you can pin it onto the base fabric as shown.  I pinned. 
  • Do this three times (leaving a 1/4 inch of the base fabric on top to fold over and sew), overlapping the ruffle on the bottom each time and there you have it: A ruffled apron or a ruffle for the tray! 
  • The last step before Hot Gluing onto the tray is to fold the top over toward you and sew it down.  This just gives you a nicer finished look when you glue on the trim.
 Hot glue the Ruffle onto the tray.  I folded the Ruffle in half and started gluing at the halfway part in the front of the tray.  Glue on the trim to finish it off.  
 Now who would LOVE to have Breakfast brought to them on this tray?  



Beaux R'eves!
XO Cindy
Sharing at:
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Keeping it Simple
Marty at
A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Beth at
The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's TreasuresKim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at
DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
Paula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Someday Crafts 
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays




22 click here to Comment:

Leslie's Garden said...

I love it! You did a great job, thanks so much for the tutorial! I'll have to be on the lookout for a similar tray.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I almost got rid of a similar tray. I'm glad I didn't as your tray turned out so lovely! ~ Maureen

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Very romantic tray!! So happy the Mister is feeling better!!

The Tablescaper said...

So happy to hear that your hubby is feeling and doing better. Awesome tray. What a fabulous ideas. Thanks so much bringing your creativity to Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

dee dee said...

Wow, I just love ruffles and to put them around the tray.... beautiful and creative!
Off to pin this excellent idea!
Dee Dee

Unknown said...

That really turned out pretty. I never would have thought of that. You've created quite the romantic moment there. Now if someone will just wake me up with breakfast in bed....

Thanks, as always, for stopping by! It's always a pleasure to see you've visited.

Sue said...

This is adorable, Cindy. Very romantic~
Glad to hear your husband is doing okay. :-) Sue

Karla Do More said...

This is super cute. Perfect for Valentines day :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great, Cindy! I do have that tray ~ it used to come out every time my kids were home sick from school. I think they actually enjoyed being home sick because I would bring them food on this tray. Never thought it could look like this though! I also love your little French pillow in the background.

Joi said...

I have this tray, but without the feet! I think it came from IKEA years ago. Thanks for the great tutorial on how to snazz it up, Cindy! Love all your sweet touches, too.

Hope Mr. Beaux is feeling much better and on the mend...

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Your tray is adorable.

Hope your husband gets his afib under control.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Your tray is adorable.

Hope your husband gets his afib under control.

Unknown said...

Great Work! Beautiful! I love it! Joann

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Very romantic tray!! I just love ruffles.
Glad to hear your husband is doing okay.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Sanghamitra.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I don't know how in the world you thought of this, but it is stunning. Gorgeous. Yes, I would love this tray. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your tray is Gorgeous love it. I also have a tray like yours this is a great Idea to do a redo on it. This would be perfect for Valentines Day for Breakfast.
I see I do follower you hope you come see me.
Have a great week with your family.
XXOO Diane

Gail said...

I have similar style tray and the 1980's teak is getting on my netve. So thanks for the ruffle idea. I'm going to paint. It & add a ruffle. Thanks for idea
Hope your honey is all better

Reba and Eldarose, sisters, friends and co-bloggers said...

I loved this project. It inspired me to make breakfast in bed for my husband. He and I agreed to give each other 14 small presents for St. Valentine's Day this year and I was having trouble coming up with things to do under $5. Your post gave me my first idea and that started the ball rolling so thank you so much for posting this.

Sincerely,
Eldarose from http://RE-inventedstyle.blogspot.com

Dixie said...

seriously cute!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

You really turned a plain-jane piece into a beauty, Cindy! I love the ruffled treatment you gave the tray - so romantic. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope to see you again this week.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

The Decorating Diaries said...

Cute, cute, cute! I also have two of those trays. Hmmm...

Janet

Ivy and Elephants said...

Thanks so much for linking up your sweet breakfast tray. The ruffles add just the right touch of romance.
See you next week!
Hugs,
Patti

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".