Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Slipcovered Guest Room Chair

I really struggled with recovering this chair.  
Not because it was difficult, but because I procrastinated and waited until the last minute to dive into the project.  Sometimes I do that for a reason though, and what I really need to do is just be STILL for a minute
 and ask myself a few questions. 
 Why am I avoiding this?  
I think the answer was that I really liked the chair and I wanted it professionally recovered but I just can't do it now. 
 I didn't want to attempt it myself and screw it up. 
 Soooooo, long story short, I slipcovered it! 
 It is a good quick fix for now.
Here is the Before:
The chair is really a pretty Bergere with a fabulous back and the fabric on it is a silk Buffalo plaid.
I took the seat cushion off thinking that I would recover the seat separately from the rest of the chair.  I nixed that idea when I realized I might be in too deep.  I made a pattern by tracing onto paper and did the same thing for the back and front.
I pinned the front and back together to fit perfectly before I sewed it.  
I tested it on the chair.  Looks good.
Turned it back inside out and pinned the ruffle on that I made out of the finished edge of the dropcloth.
Here is is all inside out and almost finished.
I finised her up by adding arm covers with ties and ties onto the back of the chair.  It came out much nicer than I expected and now I can have two different looks with one chair!

Now I'm thinking of making slipcovers for my dining room chairs...  I have enough dropcloth left to slipcover Buckingham Palace!

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves
XO Cindy

Sharing with these lovely Blogs:
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo’s Blogging & Blabbing
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at
A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Roeshel  at DIY Showoff
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Kim at
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at
DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
The Brambleberry Cottage
Gina at
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
 Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at
2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Jen at
Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

The Tablescaper: Seasonal Sunday


25 click here to Comment:

Okio B Designs said...

What a beauty! Who cares if you slipcovered her. She's gorgeous!

Jeanine

Maureen Wyatt said...

Lol. You are right about a dropcloth going on forever. I've done tons of projects out of two. I'm going to try making a slipcover for a chair for the first time myself. As soon as I stop putting it off, that is. ~ Maureen

Lynn @whispersfromwildwood said...

You did a great job! I've got a wing-back chair in the corner of my bedroom that needs a slipcover desperately! My mom gave it to me and on the way home with it, my husband lost it in the highway :) It has a terrible case of road rash - lol!

Maybe one day, I'll get brave enough to make a slip cover:)

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

The slipcover looks fabulous! I sew, but slipcovers are one thing that intimidate me! You did a wonderful job! :)

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful, Cindy! You sound so much like me...always afraid I will mess up! But you didn't! Yay!

I bought drop cloth for a project awhile back and I, too, have TONS of it! What was I thinking?!

XO,
Jane

dee dee said...

Perfect solution for this great chair! I love the slipcover option because it gives you choices!
dee dee

Rooms by Ann said...

You did an amazing Job, I once made a slipcover 14 years ago. Never again. I love how your turned out it goes perfectly with te room. It's a great idea to slipcover, If you know deep down yo love the chair.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I love your sweet slipcovered char. It's perfect.

hugs
Sissie

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What a truly perfect solution - you fixed both dilemmas and now have the perfect look for that space.

It looks great there, what a nice change!

Well done!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy the slipcover looks fabulous!!

Fishtail Cottage said...

Fabulous chair! Love how this turned out! xoxo, tracie

Fishtail Cottage said...

Fabulous chair! Love how this turned out! xoxo, tracie

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I am so impressed--I don't think a professional recover could look any better. It looks fantastic!

Maria Elena said...

It looks beautiful! This was the perfect solution! Very, very pretty!

Debra@CommonGround said...

This turned out wonderful! I did a Bergere chair a couple of years ago, yours looks much nicer! thanks for linking up to the party!!

Suzanne said...

The chair looks gorgeous! I tried to slipcover a chair once, and afterwards my husband made me promise I'd never attempt such a thing again. Let's just say mine did NOT turn out like yours.

Revi said...

I love your solution. That silk plaid is still great looking!
-Revi

The Decorating Diaries said...

I think you can call it done. It's perfect. Nice job.

Janet

Gina said...

The slipcover was a perfect solution and it looks so pretty! You did an excellent job!

Pamela said...

Fabulous idea! I have two chairs similar to these and have thought about eventually recovering them.

katbit said...

Hi,
I love that you slip covered it-it looks a 100% BETTER!!!! Great job!!

katbit said...

Love the slip covering!!!!!!!! Great job!!

katbit said...

Hi,
I love that you slip covered it-it looks a 100% BETTER!!!! Great job!!

Debbiedoos said...

This was such a clever idea. Looks fantastic!

kiki said...

Just found this part of your blog on Pinterest!! What a fabulous job!! And exactly what I want to do for a chair of mine. You gave great direction and I feel like I can do a great job from the information given. However I am just a little stumped when it came to the sides where the arm meets the seat. I just can't see it in my head, how did you do that with the ruffle?? Cause now, I really want a ruffle on my chair too!! :) Could you possibly show a picture? I learn so much better from a visual perspective!! Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".