Beaux R'eves

Monday, February 27, 2012

Anthro Knock Off Drapes



Good Morning and Happy Monday Everyone!
  I'm still working on my Guest Room and I shared some of the progress here.  
I hope to have it finished soon so that I can share the whole room with you.
  In the meantime, I want to show you the Drapes that I hung this weekend.  I was searching around on my computer looking for Drapery Inspiration and I came across these beautiful Anthropologie Drapes 
with Ruffles down the middle.
Anthropologie Wandering Pleats Curtain
They were just what I wanted!  
Ooops! They were $188.00 a panel! 
 WHAT? 
 OK, I put my thinking cap on and thought... I can make these!  I kept the idea in the back of my mind as I continued with the other projects for the room.
  As I was Pinteresting one day,
 I ran across a tutorial on how to make them.
  It was fate!  
Before I even got to the fabric store I was at Target looking for something.
  I ended up on the Bedding section and thought "Why can't I use a sheet for the Drapes?"
  I bought the softest sheet available for $14.00 and I washed it before I started sewing.  I measured my window to make sure that I would have enough sheet material.  I cut the panel with allowances for the seam at the edge and I ripped the rest of the sheet into 6" strips.  
Here's the fun part!
  Get out your ironing board and a chair cause you will be here for a while! 
 Hubs watched TV while I sat and ironed ..... and ironed..... each strip into pleats of 1/2 inch all the way down.  They don't have to be perfect...
  When each strip was finished I placed masking tape on each side to hold it down.  This worked fantastically well. 
 I sewed the finishing edge on the panel and hemmed it to the length that I wanted.  My plan was to use the top of the sheet to hang on the rod as it is already sewn for you.   For my window I needed 92" in length.  The width of the panel is 58" and I only wanted one panel as the window is small.
 I measured 18 inches from each side and sewed the strips down the middle checking my measurements as I continued sewing down the panel.  I completed the other side the same way.  Now, here is the fun part! 
  Take the pleats and smoosh them this way and that as you use the highest steam level on your iron to make the messy looking ruffles. 
 I really love the way they look, so soft and just feminine enough for the look that I was going for.  Best of all I saved about $174.00!!!
I'm so excited to show you this room but there are a few things that have to be finished.

Hope you don't mind waiting!

Beaux R'eves

XO Cindy

Sharing at:

Sharing at:
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo’s Blogging & Blabbing
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at
A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Roeshel  at DIY Showoff
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Faded Charm for White Wednesday 
 Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday
Kim at
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at
DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
Finding Fabulous
Gina at
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays

From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Cindy at
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at
2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Jen at
Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

The Tablescaper: Seasonal Sunday



45 click here to Comment:

Sweet Melanie said...

I love these! You have done a super job on making them...I am so proud that you used a sheet! I love sheets and you can get so much yardage that way...much, much cheaper than any fabric! great job an dI can't wait to see the rest of the room, it looks so lovely!
Melanie

dee dee said...

Cindy,
I had to crack up at your comment on my blog last night! Thanks for the smile! I must say.... I like your drapes better than the store bought ones! Just stunning!
Looking forward to seeing the rest of your room!
dee dee

Deserae said...

Wow, your drapes are gorgeous! I can't believe they were made out of sheet too. Beautiful....
~Des

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh my word, Cindy, you did a fantastic job!

GREAT post, wow- well done!!!!

Regina said...

You did a great job they are beautifull and a great knock off. I am a new follower and I love your blog. Have a great day.
Regina

Rooms by Ann said...

You did an amazing job I wish I could sew. I can't wait to see the finished room. Thanks for posting

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

Hi Cindy,
I received an error when trying to email you and I wanted to make sure you got this message!
I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. I am a fan of your blog and enjoy your creativity and content. I myself was nominated for this award and it is with great pleasure that I pass it on to you. Check out my post for all the details! Congratulations

http://theconsignerdesigner.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

Blondie's Journal said...

These are beautiful, Cindy! You did a super job and they look even better than the Anthro ones. I think you can do a lot with sheets, I have even thrown one over my table for a quick tablecloth! :)

XO,
Jane

Cynthia said...

You did a great job. I think they look perfect. Good for you!!

Debbie said...

That's amazing!! I love the look, and I'm so impressed with you.

$188.00 for one panel and you did it yourself. Wooohooo!

chateau chic said...

So cute, and you have the satisfaction of making them yourself!
Mary Alice

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Fantabulous curtain, Cindy! Great job!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Cindy,
These turned out so pretty. Sure beats Anthro's price!

hugs
Sissie

Heaven's Walk said...

Soooooo pretty! I love these, Cindy!!! GREAT job!!!! :)

xoxo laurie

foreverdecorating said...

Sweet!

Suzanne said...

Pretty! I have an Anthro shower curtain in my daughters' bathroom. It's white with ruffles, and I love it. You did a great job making your own version!

Sonia said...

What beautiful curtains..love the ruffles!! So glad you enjoyed the post about Seven Gables..we loved our stay! Your room looks lovely!
Miss Bloomers

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

You did a great job on these = they are lovely!

Honey at 2805 said...

Great job, nice knock-off!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That is so beautiful--they look better than the "real" ones!

DIYbyDesign said...

You did an incredible job on those. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I am so impressed with what you did! I wish I had a sewing machine. I am redoing a guest bedroom in neutrals. Your curtains would be just perfect.

One Shabby Old House said...

What a great project and one that you can pat yourself on the back for not only because you saved so much money but you made some pretty amazing drapes.
Great Job
Becky

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

Beautiful curtains! Great work :)

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Cleaver you...these are very pretty. Sheets are great for decorating and the fabric is usually of good quality. Your drape looks quite elegant.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Sooooo gorgeous! I just adore the Garden Tablescape, too :)

Pamela said...

Those are beautiful Cindy! Thanx for coming to party!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Cindy, They are beautiful and what a great job you did! Love them. Thank you for joining my party.
Hugs, Sherry

Unknown said...

Beautiful curtains!
Lindas cortinas!!

Kika Diniz - Brasil

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you! I think that might work for a bed cover, too. LOVE them. Good job!

Unknown said...

These are the most wonderful drapes! They are absolutely my style...modern country with feminine. I am so excited to try this technique.

Geneva said...

Very impressive! It was worth all the work you did and how neat that you had found a tutorial on Pinterest. Your knock off looks great in your guest bedroom!
~ Geneva

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

These look beautiful hanging in your window! Great job!

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

How Impressive, what a fun tutorial ~ I think I may have to give this a try.... Thank you for sharing, I hope you will stop by for a visit, you're always welcome!
Cheryl

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Amazing~ love how you did that!! Sharing this on FB- Thanks for linking up at FNF! :)

Honey at 2805 said...

Amazing job! Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

At The Picket Fence said...

You have a lot of patience my friend ironing all of those! :-) It was worth it though because those look just lovely and we are so glad you shared them at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Wow! I like your drapes much better than the ones at Anthro! And, the price is certainly much better. I am so impressed. You did a great job. Thank you for the tutorial, I may just give this a try.
I hope you are having a great weekend.

Mimi said...

What a nice touch these curtains add to your room. They are as nice as the originals. Thanks for sharing!

Staci said...

Great drapes! They are very beautiful in your room! I actually prefer your creation over the original design.
Keep up the great work!

The Charm of Home said...

Fantastic! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Princess Kate said...

Love your style. Thanks for letting me stop by.

Linda said...

Great job, more patience than I have. Afraid I would have to give the ruffle attachment for my sewing machine a try to see if I could skip the ironing stage. Maybe do a pillow firt to see if the ruffle foot would give me the look I would want. Thanks for the tutorial, take care.

stace said...

Thanks. I had pinned the tutorial you referenced but the blog is private now. So glad to find yours!!

ARBoyle said...

Hello! I know this was posted a while ago, but is there any way to create a no-sew version of these curtains? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".