Beaux R'eves

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Trip to Nebraska (Furniture Mart that is)

I had never heard of Nebraska Furniture Mart when we moved to the Midwest in 2002.  Talk soon began about the building of one nearby.  My girlfriends spoke about their yearly pilgrimages up to Nebraska to buy furniture and I still didn't get it!  Living in California, finding furniture stores was not a problem.  And, being an Interior Designer I had even more options.  You could go to downtown LA to the Pacific Design Center or usually I would drive closer to the Laguna Design Center.  There were even smaller design centers around that I would frequent and many larger furniture showrooms would offer discounts to Designers.  So, needless to say it was a BIG shock when we moved here.
Source: google
  The design showrooms are far and few between and they are all only Reps for the larger companies so they don't carry a lot of inventory. I don't mind ordering custom furniture but sometimes you just want the immediate satisfaction of bringing it home that day!  Good Furniture stores are even harder to find and almost non-existent.  There are a few Mass Market stores but the quality is really lacking.  When we bought our furniture for our new house that we were building we flew down to High Point, North Carolina and purchased it all there and then tried to fill in locally.  That was fun but not really practical.  So now I understand the excitement over the new store!

One day last week my Mom and I drove out to NFM to try and find some Office Reception Furniture for Mr. Beaux's new office.  (Hey, any excuse to go out there right?) 
Source: Google
 The Showroom is a 600,000 square foot state-of the art warehouse and distribution center.  Most of the items are available to take home THAT day! People come prepared with their Pick-ups or trailers. Or you could choose to have them delivered in a few days.  
Source: NFM.com

 The Motto of the now deceased founder 
Rose Blumkin (Mrs. B) was,
Sell Cheap and Tell the Truth!  
I Love that!  

While Browsing around I have two agendas...
Go to the Scratch and Dent Clearance Section first,
and then 
wander through the High End Designer Section
to get ideas and Dream a little.  
Here are some pictures of our Pilgrimage:
Warning, these were taken with my phone!

What a Fabulous Light Fixture!
 And another that I coveted!
How Great would this be for Super Bowl Sunday!!!
Hmmmm, do I need a Pink Script Chair anywhere?  
 Taking a second look... 
A little too Girly maybe? 
Sigh, alright.
 This is just Lovely. 
And here is my one and only purchase. 
A little box for this and that in the soon to be Craft Room.  We didn't find what we wanted for Mr. Beaux's Office but we did have lunch and brought home some See's Candy (the only place they sell it in all of Kansas!)  
So, the trip was not all for naught!
Source: Sees.com



Have a Great Weekend!
Beaux R'eves!
XO Cindy


Sharing at:
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Beth at
The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Paula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Roeshel at DIY Showoff
Sherry at
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at
2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Jen at
Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special






4 click here to Comment:

Deanna said...

Howdy Cindy!

Years ago I lived in Omaha Nebraska and we bought a Dining room Table, Chairs and China Cabinet. Enjoyed walking around in this huge store. I really was a country bumpkin...a heck!!! Any whoooo...it was a treat to go there.

Now that I live in Kansas I'll have to go check out there Kansas location one day soon.

I lovvve furniture.
Enjoyed your post!
God bless,
d

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

I love the chandy! And so much eye candy! You could get lost!!

Hillcrest Acres said...

I grew up in Omaha and my parents were frequent shoppers of Nebraska Furniture Mart. I remember seeing Mrs. B walking around the store and in her later years, she drove around on a little scooter.

After getting married, I moved to the Chicago area. Oh how I miss having NFM close buy. Shopping there, you never worried about over inflated prices and they stood behind their products.

Survey said...





Nebraska Furniture Mart Survey

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".