Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Finding your Authentic Decorating Self

This is a post about a mirror redo, but it's also about finding your "Authentic Decorating Self".   There are so many beautiful blogs out in blogland with wonderful sweeping romantic images that you could just get lost in.  
That's what happened to me. 
Pinterest
Pinterest


How could you NOT get caught up in these photos? 
 They evoke a time and a place that seems unhurried and tranquil.  A place where you might want to spend some time pondering the meaning of life.  OK, well maybe not that deep of a place but you get the idea?
Here is my mirror story if you are still with me!  I was looking for victims subjects on which to practice my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint experiments.  Hello Mr. Mirror that has been in every corner of every house for the past 15 years.  
Mr. Mirror was purchased at a consignment shop in California while we were living there about 15 years ago.  It's hard to see, but there is a crack in the wood on the bottom left hand side.  Before I painted it I filled it with wood putty.
I've always loved the ornate crown and scrolls on this mirror.  I broke out the Paris Gray ASCP.  
I love Paris! 
 I painted, I waxed, I distressed, I highlighted! (Sounds like a day at the Salon for me). I thought I loved it... 
Hey, I impressed myself with my limited talents!  
I did everything right.  The problems came when I tried to find a new home for it in my house!  It didn't GO anywhere.  I tried the Bedroom, the Hallway, The Living Room...  And then it suddenly Struck me!  This Paris Gray isn't ME at all.  These are not the colors in my home.  I love warm neutral colors.  What was I thinking?  I was angry and mad at myself for a little while.  I'm supposed to "know better".  I'm supposed to "plan" better than this.  

Sigh, back to the drawing board.
Hello Lover!  
Much better.  I repainted with ASCP Old White mixed with a small amount of the wall color Benjamin Moore Monroe Bisque.  I waxed with Clear wax and then a bit of Dark wax and then Clear wax again.  You can see some of the Paris Gray showing through in the places where I distressed it.  That's to remind me every time I walk by to be true to my "Authentic Decorating Self".

Beaux R'eves!
XO Cindy

Sharing at:
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo’s Blogging & Blabbing
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at
A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Roeshel  at DIY Showoff
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Linda at
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Faded Charm for White Wednesday 
 Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday
Kim at
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at
DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
Finding Fabulous
Gina at
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at
2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Jen at
Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

Furniture Feature Friday


43 click here to Comment:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Well you definitely got it right! It is gorgeous! I have a mirror So similar if not exactly the same that I got an an auction LONG ago! I have been thinking about painting it and I believe you just sealed the deal!

This looks GORGEOUS!

Lou Cinda

Anita Diaz said...

Very, very good advice!!! I really try to do what I like in my home even when I know it's not the trend. There are things I have tried that are also just not me. Beautiful mirror, and I love the color you ended up with!!

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Good advice! Love your mirror!!

Deserae said...

The second time around is defintely a winner! The color is beautiful and it looks fabulous hanging on the wall :o)
~Des

Debra@CommonGround said...

I SO agree with you, I might love something in a photo or at someone else's blog, but when it comes time to translate it to my own house it just won't work. this is a great post with a lot of truth!!

Cristina Garay said...

Love the mirror and the message in your post!

dee dee said...

Cindy,
When you find the right match... it's a beautiful thing! Your mirror is fantastic! I've been on the lookout for a long mirror to place behind my claw foot tub!
beautiful....
dee dee

Susan Freeman said...

I love it ! You did a fabulous job.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Esther Benedict said...

Thanks for the inspiration, Cindy. I have a mirror from my mom that she gold leafed (back in the 60's, when anything that stood still long enough got gold leafed) and an olive green velvet mat. I love the mirror, but the gold leaf just isn't "me" - the olive green velvet doubly so. I'll be putting that refinishing project on my list.

Unknown said...

Great Advice! Beautiful colors and I love the mirror! Thanks for sharing Joann

Unknown said...

Great Advice! Beautiful colors and I love the mirror! Thanks for sharing Joann

Maureen Wyatt said...

How very true! It's like loving a furniture arrangement in a magazine but knowing you would be tripping over lamp cords and there isn't room to open the door. Your mirror looks quite at home now! ~ Maureen

Cheryl said...

It's amazing how something as simple as color can make such a difference. I, personally, don't care for the gray shades, but I am a shabby chic girl all the way. Glad you had the patience to re-do the mirror after you worked so hard on it the first time. Way to go!

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

I think this is the sentiment of a lot of bloggers out there. I have found myself being influenced away from my authentic decorating self lately and have to stop and get a grip!!! Way to go, great post!

Rooms by Ann said...

Gorgeous, I love it with both colors.

Elegant Economies said...

Beautiful...the mirror and the advice.

Donna said...

What a gorgeous mirror! I do like the antique white much better myself, too! I've redone many a project before, so don't feel bad:)!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes paint in the popular blog colors and find out it's just not me.
I like the cream color much better on your beautiful mirror.

hugs
Sissie

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Sage advice - be true to you! The mirror looks fabulous either way.
Thanks for your visit,
Susan

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

It is absolutely gorgeous. And a TON of work, sounds like- but it totally paid off. Great job!

Kelly said...

Oh I love the mirror both ways! Actually the first color (paris grey) is what my sister used to paint my mirror that resides in my foyer. Your mirror reminded me of it. Too bad you couldn't use it in the grey because it was pretty. I like the new color you chose too. You obviously HAVE to use what's going to work in your decor. I've had a few lessons like that myself. Good thing it was just paint. That was an easy fix.

Tammy said...

That same thing has happened to me too. I have the same two colors and I love the Old white in my house, but Paris is not for me :) It looks lovely! I am your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime too :)

Maria Elena said...

It is just gorgeous! The color is just beautiful!

Suzanne said...

The mirror is gorgeous. I have a few ASCP "victims" myself. That made me laugh. I just redid a lamp using ASCP, and I love it! Glad you got the results your were hoping for.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Good for you, Cindy! I love your Pinterest pictures and they are definitely beautiful, but it is easy to get caught up in wanting "the look". I use more Old White or Old Ochre in my house, this way I know it will fit in anywhere. So glad you remained true to yourself and redid it to go with your home. The grey was really pretty but what good is it if it doesn't work in your home!

At The Picket Fence said...

So so true!! It is easy to get swept up in a different style and I have done that same exact thing where I purchased or made something over only to realize that it just wasn't "me" after all. We need to embrace and celebrate our styles like you did!:-)
Vanessa

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

I agree with you completely!! I see so many styles out in blogland that I absolutely love; but, when I try to incorporate it into my home, it looks forced. Then, I revert back to what I know and love!! And the whole family is happy!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

YOu know, it feels good to know WHO you are and what YOU like and not follow the trends. It is so easy to see all the BEAUTY out there in blogland, and on Pinterest and get caught up. But, I have my own style and likes so stay with that. I ADMIRE others so much but try not to copy. Your mirror is beautiful and I love how it eventually turned out. XO, Pinky

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

The true you sure is a pretty one. LOVE this. I have some same plans for a mirror I have had since before dirt was invented. Thanks for the inspiration.

Debbie said...

First, the mirror is just lovely!

Second, this post really rang my bell. I did the same thing for years it seemed between magazine and TV decorating shows. I found myself repeating it with blogs. I would love something, but it wasn't "ME". I've been on a journey to find Debbie's inner decorator for about five months now. Believe it or not, she's beginning to show up.

Anonymous said...

all I can say is WOW! Love , Love, IT! Great job!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Beautiful mirror! It turned out quite lovely. I'm the same way about my home. I see the beautiful pics showcasing light and pastel rooms but when it comes right down to it, I too, prefer the warm neutrals.

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I'm a new email follower- just had to sign up when I read this post. This is so me- I fall in love with other bloggers' projects, but then can't make them work in my home. When will I learn? Sometimes I wonder if I should just stick with blogs that fit my style. Nah, that's no fun. :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I so love your mirror. I am with you, while I admire all the white I see everwhere, it just isn't my house and really is hard to work into my decor. I love that you changed it to something warmer. It is stunning. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Jan said...

Okay, at the risk of being really really hokey, "To thine ownself, be true."

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I love the mirror with both finishes, Cindy. But since I tend to decorate with warmer colors, your second makeover would be the one for me. By the way, you did a fabulous job in BOTH cases. ;)

Thanks for linking your creative talents to Time Travel Thursday.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I like the mirror both ways, but you have to go with what works for you. Nice job.

Honey at 2805 said...

The mirror is gorgeous and you did a terrific job transforming it! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WELL DONE!!!!

It ended up absolutely fabulous!

This was a very smart post.

Thank you for it.

Loribeth said...

I'm with you... I love it much better in the warmer tones of the finished product. It looks richer. I think it's okay the grey shows through a little, because that just makes it look older and more loved. Anyway, it looks beautiful!

Sandi said...

It really IS easy to get caught up in the wonderful items shared in blogland and on pinerest. I have {ahem} purchased things because other bloggers really loved them and they don't go in my home either. Trying to be much more careful!! But I LOVE YOUR MIRROR!!!!
Blessings~

Cynthia said...

This mirror is gorgeous. I love the frame and love the finish.

Eventhough white is all the rage right now it doesn't work in our home at all.

Your Craft Book said...

What a great mirror and at the end of the day it looks fantastic. You are right sometimese things we would love to try turn out to be so wrong. I have made this mistake myself on a number of occasions so don' feel too bad, Maureen

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".