Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Laundry Room Makeover

Hi Everyone!  
I feel like it's been forever since
 I've been blogging on a consistent basis.  
A LOT has been going on around this house.  
Our company has left us and moved into their new home! 
 I'm so excited for them and I will be helping them with a couple of
 Remodeling projects. 
 FUN!!!  
Having house guests made it a little difficult to blog
 and get things done.  
But I was recently able to finish a project that 
I had on my To Do list for quite a while: 

Refreshing my Laundry Room.
A while back I won this adorable Wall Decal from Judy at  DIY by Design. 
She had a giveaway for $25.00 towards a Vinyl Wall Decal at  Madebytheresarenee   
I thought a sign in the Laundry Room would be so cute.  
Of course, I wanted to paint first and that's what took soooooo long!  I already had the paint leftover from my ceilings in the Living and Dining room. 
 Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue.  
 I love that color!    
I seriously thought that I had a "Before" picture that I had taken when I was painting the Chalkboard on my Pantry Door as seen in this picture.  There is the Laundry Room to the right.  It was the same color as the walls in the hallway, Benjamin Moore Monroe Bisque, and pretty much devoid of any decorating.
 It was a sad little laundry room...
Here is the view as you walk in from the Garage.  Laundry Room to the left and the back stairs.  The first thing that I did was to remove the door to the room.  We never closed the door and it was taking up space.  My laundry  Room is small and the door wasn't helping. The room measures 8'2" X 7'4".  It's very tiny and I have plans for a remodel but for now just making some cosmetic changes has helped to lift it's spirits!  (And mine)
Here is how it looks now.  After taking off the door and painting I switched out the light fixture. 
 The old fixture was fluorescent and looked like this:
Not very stylish and don't you hate when it gets full of bugs!  
How does that even happen?  
Here is the new light that I bought at Lowe's.
I love it so much more! 
 It was pretty easy to switch it out.  
The biggest factor was installing a new plate in the middle (which Mr. Beaux did).  Then he patched up the holes and hung up the light.  It actually has this really cool old fashioned light bulb that comes with it but it doesn't give out very much light so I had to settle for a regular bulb for practicality's sake.  
 I wanted some open storage so I took the doors off of one of the upper cabinets.  I thought about painting the back of the cabinet but I also wanted to add some pattern to the room.  I have been dying to use a graphic somewhere in the house and thought that this was the perfect place to do it.  
Here is how it looked before.  I was at Target looking for a tension rod when I came across this Shower Curtain.
The pattern and color was perfect AND it was on sale for $18.99.  I was pretty sure that I could use the fabric as a skirt for the sink also.  SOLD!  
I looked for liquid starch but Target was out so I just used spray starch that I already had at home.  
I measured and cut the fabric and sprayed the wall and the fabric with the
 starch until it was really wet. 
 I pinned it up with push pins and let it dry.  
What an easy and immediate results project!!!
The skirt was just as easy. 
 I took off the doors to the cabinets and threaded the Shower Curtain through the tension rod and Viola! Instant skirt!  I didn't even hem it(yet).  I had the shelves to the right built to store laundry baskets when we designed the house.  I keep the dog food containers on the bottom.  They were ugly and didn't match so I painted them black.  Don't worry, I didn't paint the inside and I made sure that I let them sit open for a few days before I put the food back in them.  I would NEVER endanger my Bubbies!  New baskets for cleaning rags and dishtowels are in the upper shelf.  And new pretty bowls for my babies.  
I also painted the wooden box that my Pop-Pop made for me to hold plastic bags. 
I plan to paint something on it but haven't yet.  
I hung up some silver platters that I found at Estate Sales. 
 It may seem fancy for a Laundry Room but I consider it Storage.  I really use them and now I can see where they are as they aren't hidden in a drawer.  
And anyway, WHY NOT???
I attached a little wire basket to this magnetic towel bar to hold dryer sheets.  I used to have a skinny rolling cart in the middle of the washer and dryer but I took it out.  I could never use all of the  counter space because the dryer was in the way...  I actually use the sink and the counter a lot to do flower arrangements and wash the dogs with the sprayer.
These are Hydrangeas from my backyard.  I was playing with PicMonkey and their new options.  I'm liking it so far.  What are you using?  
I put cuphooks in the bottom of this shelf and Mr. Beaux hung it up for me.  The little tin buckets from Target (a dollar apiece) hold clothespins and Magic Erasers. 
 Don't you love those?  
OK, here is another look at the whole Laundry Room Facelift:
I'm pretty darn happy with the results and actually look forward to laundry now.  OK, that is an out and out LIE!  But, the new pretty color and the updates make it bearable!  

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves,
XO Cindy

Sharing at...
Newbie Party at Debbie Doo’s Blogging & Blabbing
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Roeshel  at DIY Showoff
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design 

Whatever Goes Wednesdays at Someday Crafts 
The Brambleberry Cottage
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
 Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

Five Days...5Ways

42 click here to Comment:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WOW!

Cindy it looks awesome!

Well done, really looks sharp!

Your hydrangeas are gorgeous too- blue are my fav!

At The Picket Fence said...

It looks amazing Cindy! I absolutely love how you used that shower curtain in multiple ways and the silver platters are perfect for some extra bling. The light fixture is just fantastic and you are making me want to switch out the one in my laundry room now! :-)
Vanessa

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your laundry room is fabulous. I love the little skirt, the silver trays, the shelving.....love it all.

hugs
Sissie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Cindy, your room is bigger than mine. I love what you have done in it. I was going to paint mine that color, but it seemed to dark in my little hole. I had to go with a sunny yellow. Cute idea using the shower curtain for the pop of color in the back of the cabinet and for that cute little skirt.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Cindy, I love your laundry room makeover! It is such a pretty shade of blue. The silver is just the perfect accent! You have really created a wonderful laundry room! i love it!

Debbie said...

I think this looks absolutely wonderful. I love every single choice you made.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You did a great job....I love the saying on the wall and I will have to go to her site because I am looking for some words...

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy your laundry room looks fabulous!! LOVE what you did with the fabric shower curtain!

DIYbyDesign said...

It looks awesome. I love the makeover and I'm so glad you were able to use the giveaway winnings for something so cool. I'm excited to have you link this up tonight. I'm going to make myself a note to feature it next week.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I love your laundry room now! The shower curtain worked so well! Your decal and shelf is also perfect for this space!

Unknown said...

You have certainly created a gorgeous laundry room! I love every change you made. The color is fabulous!

Lori said...

My favorite the light and the dryer fabric holder.

ANNE said...

so cute! I love the shower curtain!! You've done a fabulous job - it must be such a pleasure to do laundry now! well at least to go into the laundry room if nothing else - lol!

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Your laundry room has some serious WOW factor now! :) Love it! The color is amazing, and I really like the silver trays on the wall and the beautiful fabric accents! I may have to "borrow" that idea!!!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

The laundry room looks so pretty. I am in LOVE with that new light fixture!

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

foreverdecorating said...

Why is it that laundry room makeovers are so popular? Because we spend so much time in there and your room is so functional and lovely! From your fabric choice, and lovely little light fixture to your silver trays, you have made this room 2-die-4.

Jenny said...

Very nice! I love the graphic print in the Target tablecloth, it's so pretty! And I have a soft spot for Palladian Blue too - its in my great room :-). Well done!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh it looks fabulous. I love it and the color is super. Great use of the shower curtain, what a creative idea. I would love laundry in there. Thanks tons for joining TTT. I love it all. Hugs, Marty

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

WOW!!! I now have laundry room envy. The shower curtain idea was great. Love the color choices.

dee dee said...

Cindy,
Absolutely fantastic! All the changes make you room so inviting!
love it... dee dee

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Cindy, your laundry room update is great, love the wall color and the shower curtain. The new light fixture is just a perfect fit for the room.

Debra said...

Wow! Your laundry room looks so nice. Love the color so much. Really, I love everything. :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks great, Cindy! I love the colors in here. Great idea to use the shower curtain in a different way. I love that you've made it pretty with the accessories and silver trays. Why not, especially if you have to be in there.

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

I love the graphic fabric behind the shelves! I'm gonna have to try this somewhere!

Unknown said...

Oh this is wonderful, I love your idea for using a shower curtain in such a creative way. I would probably enjoy laundry more if my laundry room looked that fabulous! Now following, please visit and follow me too? :)

Tanya

Cristina Garay said...

Your laundry room looks awesome!! I love the way you used the shower curtain, the graphics and color gives the room a really nice pop of color! The light fixture and all the little details makes it look fantastic!

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Awesome make-over!
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love the color scheme, looks so pretty!! All the work paid off! thanks so much for linking up with Vintage Inspiration

Tiffany Interiors, LLC said...

I am so in love with the silver platters hanging on the wall, I just don't know what to do! Such a beautiful laundry room.

MONICA LIVAS said...

AMAZING! LOVE the silver plates!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

probably the best laundry room I've ever seen.

Carolyn said...

Love, love, love this space! You have inspired me more than you know. And I appreciate the disclaimer about the paint and the dog's food container. ;-)

Jennifer said...

It's gorgeous! I love it! It's just about perfect! The curtain looks blue. Is it? I saw that in Target but not in blue. I'll have to look! It's great!

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

It looks fabulous. I need to work on my laundry room. I love the fabric. Isn't Target the best?

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Oh, Cindy, it looks so charming! I love all those wonderful feminine touches you've added. It's a room that you could actually have fun doing laundry in, right?
CAS

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your laundry room is gorgeous!!! So many cute ideas.

Dee

loveolympiajune said...

Wow!! You did such an amazing job. Looks great!!

~Stephanie @loveolympiajune

Natalie@Detail-Oriented Diva said...

Love this!

Rhonda @ home.made. said...

That is one fantastic laundry room! I love the way you used the shower curtain as a sink skirt and as a cabinet background - great job! Visiting from TT&J-

Rhonda @ home.made.

DIYbyDesign said...

Beautiful makeover. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I love it! I'm currently working on my laundry room and I just finished painting it blue too! Mine is so teeny tiny compared to yours...I'm drooling over your sink and storage!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! How is the paint holding up on the dog food containers? I'm struggling with that same issue right now. Ugly colors on the dog food containers, but they have to stay out in the open due to the size of my laundry room etc. I would LOVE to paint them but worry about chipping, etc.

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".