Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

No Sew Outdoor Curtains





Good Morning!  
I'm wrapping up my patio space this week.  Just in time too, as my dear baby sister is coming to visit on Friday.  I have the extreme pleasure of keeping my beautiful niece for a whole MONTH!  I can't wait!  She and Miss Beaux act just like sisters (without the fighting).  I love watching them together. 

Pottery Barn
 If you have been following along I started with the patio furniture, staining the concrete and creating the "Hobo" bed.  (yes the name has stuck!)  When I began this project I had visions of curtains softly blowing in the breeze allowing for some privacy and adding some softness to the space.  Hmmmm, then the sticker shock set in!  Have you priced outdoor curtains?  WOW!  Anywhere from $50-$100 per panel.  Times that by 8 and you are talking expensive!  There had to be another solution. 


 I thought about sewing curtains but after all the work we put into the patio I just ran out of gas. 
Mr. Beaux came home from work one day and sat on the sofa.  He looked at me very seriously and said "I want to talk to you about something."  Uh Oh  "I was thinking about this at work all day"  Um, OK  "What do you think about using plumbing pieces for the curtain rods?" 
 OH YOU DEAR MAN!!! 
What a stellar idea!!!
"We could use a Flange, and an Elbow and pipe for the rod."  I nodded my head and pretended to know what all of those things were.  We headed to Lowe's after dinner and cruised the aisles for what we needed.  We ended up using electrical conduit instead of pipe as it was more cost effective.  
He sent me to the paint section to pick up more spray paint.  
That's when it hit me!  
I could use 6X9 drop cloths for the curtains. 
 They were the perfect size and only $10.00 each! 
Mr. B hung up the rods with 
inexpensive curtain rings attached. 

I just clipped on the drop cloths and we were all set!  I washed the drop cloths first because I thought they were too stiff.  Also, we first purchased 4 -10 oz weight drop cloths and they were longer than the 8oz ones for some reason, so I just folded them over at the top.  I know they don't match right now but I got over it.  Life isn't perfect and maybe someday I will buy more so that they all match. 
Now I am going to show you a million pictures that I took.  Thanks for indulging me!
 Curtains closed!  
Yes, I see the seam on the cloth to the left...  I could have cropped it out but this is reality here...
Closed from the outside.  
Does it look like one of those VIP cabanas?  
Ha, Ha, where IS that pool boy?

Wouldn't it be so fun to have a party here?
Night time shot
With the flash...
I seriously can't wait to use it! 

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves
XO Cindy

I'm linking to Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays and Judy at DIY by Design
 Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
 Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays

 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Poutpourri Friday at 2805

 Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Diann at The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

Five Days...5Ways

 Stone Gable~Tutorials,Tips,and Tidbits

46 click here to Comment:

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

This MUST be one of the most fabulous before/after projects ever! Thanks for sharing!
Nancy

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Cindy, Your patio is so lovely! Your curtains looks so nice! I had drop cloth panels on our screen porch but they kept mildewing. I think it was because we only have trees on that end so there wasn't enough sunshine to dry them out fast enough. Right now I'm compiling white sheers that I pick up at yard sales. Once I get enough, I'm going to try that. For our curtain rods, we used 12 foot dowel rods. My husband recently installed some for a customer where she used some type of wire for her rods! Thanks for allowing us to see your lovely home!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Oh, I forgot. Talking about parties, another good them about the drop cloths is during the cooler months, you can close off the curtains and heat the area with space heaters! More party space!

Sue said...

When I first got here, I just knew you'd be using drop cloths, Cindy! Great idea on using the conduit and the plumbing flange, too. Now you have a. Great enclosed space for a party or a simple and intimate gathering. :-) Sue

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a nice outdoor area to enjoy. Love what he came up with for the rod and you can't beat drop cloth drapes for the price. They will be easy to throw in the wash when they get dirty, too.

Esther Benedict said...

Wow, what a great look and a lovely patio! I may need to incorporate drop cloth curtains on my boudoir patio.

Herballistic Garden said...

I love it! I actually thought about plumbing pipes! Good to see it done! It's beautiful...xo wendy

Unknown said...

That turned out great!

Blondie's Journal said...

You did a great job, Cindy. I love the versatility of drop cloth and always have a big stash! It looks fantastic!

XO,
Jane

dee dee said...

Cindy,
Fantastic idea!
dee dee

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Just brilliant... both of you! They look fabulous from the inside and the out!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! I love your drop cloth curtains! The curtain rods are great too! Thanks for sharing!

Olive said...

You two are seriously smart. We may borrow this to hide our hideous hot tub. You save so much money too.

chateau chic said...

What a great idea, Cindy. Your drop cloth curtains are the perfect solution. And what a great husband to think about solutions for you!
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

Great ideas! Your patio area is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Awesome idea, and your patio is beautiful. I've been looking for something for our deck that could handle the wind. This is perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! You did good!! Sure makes the space look luxsurious! (not sure I spelled that right)

Jenny said...

Love it! I bought some drop cloths to use on my covered deck, and love how yours turned out! Great look!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Oh, I love that look. It frames your beautiful patio so well.

Deserae said...

Wow, your veranda is just stunning! I love the drapes....it's hard to believe they are no sew and made out of drop cloths too!! Such a romantic setting...
~Des

Nita Stacy said...

THis looks so incredibly great. It makes your patio look so high end. Just stunning!

This N That said...

Wow..Perfect...It looks like a resort..Great job..I always say that a good imagination goes a long, long way...

Valerie said...

Looks wonderful!
Right out of a magazine!

Little Miss Maggie said...

What a great patio. I love it and your fancy curtain rods too. Wait till Pottery Barn sees those.

Kelly said...

That hubby of yours is one smart guy! I love how this project turned out. I have seen drop cloths used for this before on Heather Bullards blog. I think it is a brilliant idea! I know you will enjoy the added privacy and softness around your patio.

sandy said...

Wow! This is fabulous! I love everything about it and most of all you can have some privacy out there !!

Wild Oak Designs said...

Awesome! More awesome still is that your hubby came up with the idea and helped put it up!
I absolutely love the drop cloths...I purchased a bunch for tablecloths too....they are the best buy on fabric!
Great job you guys!
Nancy

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Doesn't it just make you fall in love all over again when your hubby comes up with a solution for something you want to do???? Mine does that too and YES, what a sweet man!!! You 2 are a great team. I LOOOOOVE your patio and now have to go back to see the post about staining the concrete. XO, Pinky

Noble Vintage said...

Beautiful! I have my drop cloths waiting in my laundry basket as we speak! ;) So anxious to do this, but have to wait until we are back from a trip. I am a little concerned with our breezy porch- we live on a hill and it can get fairly windy....do you have any problems with the weight of the curtains if they wind picks up? thanks for sharing your pretty porch. It looks beautiful.

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Awesome! I plan to use drop cloths for outdoor curtains too! I use drop cloths for a ton of stuff! The pillows I just featured on my blog are made out of drop cloth fabric!!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I have had drop clothes for a year now (still in the pkg) to do this exact job on my deck. THANK YOU for the inspiration to GET THE JOB DONE!! I will show my Handyman (aka hubby) the pic of your curtain rod too! Thanks so much!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

Amazing look and great price!! LOve your outdoor area! following you!!! hop on over my blog to find low cost decor and projects!

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

Beautiful!!! What an ingenious idea...using hardware supplies for your project. They turned out perfect!!
Saw you over at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Debbie :)

Unknown said...

Just saw your cute ideas at The Charm of Home. Wonderful job!! It looks beautiful and totally functional.
Shirley

Diann said...

The curtains with the plumbing hardware look fantastic! Your entire outdoor space is wonderful. What a great job you did! Thank you for sharing at TTF last week. I hope to see you join us again!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

What a great way to get inexpensive patio curtains. I'm putting this idea on my list. Thanks Cindy.

Anonymous said...

awesome idea!! I can't wait to put ours up!!

Anonymous said...

awesome idea!! I can't wait to put ours up!!

Curtain said...

The no sew outdoor curtains has been described very well. You have given useful information

JV said...

I love you for posting this - this will be perfect for our new pergola which surrounds our hot tub!

KristyKay said...

I'm taking on this same project. Today I learned that the threading on the EMT screw connectors (from electrical) are different than the threading on the elbows (from plumbing). How did you resolve this? It seems like it'll screw in a little bit and maybe it's enough for this purpose. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Unknown said...

I asked my husband and he said that the threading was the same. We bought everything at Home Depot if that helps. At the time we made sure that everything fit together. It has held up just great so far! Hope this helps!

Storm Faey said...

awesome. Madwe for my gazebo and added grommets at each bottom corner so that they can be pegged down in breezy weather.

Reimer said...

Have you priced outdoor curtains? WOW! Anywhere from $50-$100 per panel. Times that by 8 and you are talking expensive! There had to be ... ooutdoorcurtains.blogspot.com

Darren Demers said...

If you have been following along I started with the patio furniture, staining the concrete and creating the "Hobo" bed. (yes the name has stuck!) When I began this project I had visions of curtains softly blowing in the breeze allowing for some privacy and adding some softness to the space. bed sheet set online , queen bed sheet sets , premium bed sheets , bridal bed sheets online shopping , all seasons duvet , vicky razai , sofa covers canada , velvet quilt , razai cover design Hmmmm, then the sticker shock set in! Have you priced outdoor curtains? WOW! Anywhere from $50-$100 per panel. Times that by 8 and you are talking expensive! There had to be another solution.

Faris Zahid said...

The information provided is really great and would love to share it with others.
must also visit
curtain suppliers in qatar

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".