Beaux R'eves

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Collections: Black Tole Trays



 I have been in love with Tole Trays since 
the day I walked into my BFF's green apple office that was covered with them.  I started collecting them at Estate Sales refusing to pay more than a few dollars for each of them.
 My collection has grown and I originally wanted to display them in the Kitchen but I really have a lack of wall space.  
This is my pantry door that I painted with chalkboard paint way back in January.  I am standing on my back stairs as I take this picture.  The kitchen is to the left and the back hall, garage door and laundry room are to the right.
 So, I thought why not hang them around the pantry door?  
I adore how unique each of them are.  
Some shabby and worn,
some small and shiny.
Each one hand painted.  
The history of the Tole Tray is not certain but they think that they originated in the UK around the late 1700's at the School of Arts.  The decorative artists were being taught how to load up their brushes with more than one color of paint to create the petals and leaves of the flowers.  
I don't know how old my Tole Trays are and I really don't care about the value of the trays.  
I just love the way they look.
To hang them I attached a self adhesive plate holder on the back of some.
And on the small trays I used a spot of hot glue and a paperclip.
I can always add to my wall
 and I look forward to the hunt 
at future Estate Sales!
Source: Country Living.com

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves,
XO Cindy

Sharing at 
Sharing at 
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

29 click here to Comment:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice collection, and you've displayed them so beautifully.

Babs said...

Cindy, LOVE LOVE your black tole trays. Black is my favorite, but for some reason, I never can find them at a reasonable price. The three I have are cream or turquoise..which I like well enough. I MUST start looking again for black ones. Your collection is gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration.
Babs

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy you have a beautiful collection and I love the way they look around your pantry door!

A Hint of Home said...

You have quite a collection! I love the black background and and the rich colors on them.

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

They look great around the pantry door. I love the chalkboard door! So smart!!! My favorite tray is the one with violets. So pretty!! Very creative ways of hanging them too!! Love it.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great collection and I love where you hung them. I use those hangers, too.

Maalai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Love your collection of the trays Great spot to display them too. Thanks so much for your visit!!!! XO, Pinky

Maureen Wyatt said...

Great collection, so nicely displayed! ~ Maureen

Three Birds Inspired said...

I love your trays! I also collect tole painted trays. My mother had a very large tray with handles that she received as a wedding present back in the early 1950s. I always loved it. One day I realized she didn't use it so it came to live with me and that is how my collection began. Unlike you, however, I also collect the red and green trays. It is always such a thrill to find one in a thrift store!

Kathy said...

Beautiful! And I love the accents used on your chalkboard....where did you find those? Blessings!

Debra@CommonGround said...

what a great collection! love where you have them displayed, black tole trays are a favorite of mine too!

The Vintage Chateau said...

That's a beautiful collection, I love tole trays too!
Karee

This N That said...

I love your tole trays..What a wonderful collection..I have a couple and it will probably remain that way..No room..Downsizing ??

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy, I just used a chalk pen and a corner stencil. :)

Kathy said...

Very clever & so cute...thnx so much!!

Sue said...

Hi CIndy,
I love tole trays too, I have a few in the living room and a few in the library. Yours look great around your pantry door and I love the different sizes and shapes you have. Great collection.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful collection of trays! I have a couple, I'm tray poor. Love the arrangement around your door.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what a fabulous collection of trays. I love them all and what an amazing vignette on the stairs. Gorgeous. Thanks for joining TTT.

Rooms by Ann said...

Wow, you have a great collection they are all beautiful. I love that you hung them around the pantry door.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful collection Cindy. I had a black tole tray that I received as a wedding present years ago and can't find it for the life of me. Hope I didn't sell it at a garage sale.

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

I've always loved toleware, too. Your trays look lovely around the pantry door.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

What a great collection! They look perfect around your pantry door. I need to add some of these to my Christmas list :)
Cheers, Andrea

Sarah said...

Cindy, I popped over from Judy Bigg's blog when I saw your post on her sidebar. I've always admired tole trays, started to collect them, but didn't have a good place to display them. So I ended up giving the few I had to a friends' daughter who wanted to start a collection. You have a beautiful collection.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I am a lover of black tole trays too! Love them around the pantry door!

Lily said...

Looks great!

Connie said...

Your trays and the way you have displayed them is quite outstanding. I love meeting creative sister bloggers and the process of following and sharing ideas. I am your newest follower. Have a lovely day and when you have the time, please pay me a visit, my welcome mat is always out. Connie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy, our estate sale company is having a sale that includes a 60 plus collection of tole ware! Our sale and additional information can be viewed at estatesales.org. Sale is in Highlands, NC. Thought you may be interested. Thanks, Nancy Ferguson email, shabbiechic@hotmail.com

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I think they are perfect around the door. I love tole as well. I have a few trays and have them displayed in different places around the house but I think they look great displayed together as a collection.

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".