Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Office ~ Another Room Finished

When we invited our Realtors over last Sunday 
to talk about prices and dates and such, 
we had them walk through the house 
and give us their honest opinion 
of what still needed to be done and what we should change.  
When we got to the office 
 (which is to the left as soon as you walk into the front door) 
they commented on how dark the space was.  
I knew this but was trying to avoid painting another room.  
But the truth is the truth 
 and I want to sell my house. 
So, as soon as they left I started picking out paint colors. 
It's funny that this room no longer matches 
the rest of my light and bright house.  
But really, it was almost 11 years ago 
when we built the house and this room hasn't changed.  
It used to be Mr. Beaux's office 
but he needed more space so I moved down here.  
I do some of my blogging here 
but it is sometimes too dark for me to really see well 
so I move into another room.
It is really red isn't it?  
But I like the built ins and the warm wood wainscotting.  
Monday was a perfect day for painting.  
Mr. Beaux had taken my car into the shop 
so I was stuck in the house all day.  
Plus, a storm was coming in promising 
to dump more snow on us.  
I primed all the walls because of the dark red 
and then I started painting my "chosen" color.  
 I thought that a gray blue color would look good with all of 
the paneling but it was coming out more blue than gray.  
 What worried me the most is that you see the room 
 as soon as you enter the house.  
Hmmmmmmm
So, I dug around in the basement and found some 
more neutral colors and tested them on the wall.  
I narrowed it down to these two 
and of course you see the blue on the right.  
I had a gallon and a half of the Lenox Tan HC-44 
(Benjamin Moore) on the left that I ended up choosing.
Goodbye Dark and Dated Red!!!  
But I was a little sad that afternoon as I was painting 
that my blue idea was thrown out the window.  
Miss Beaux came home from school and stood in the doorway 
eating her snack and looked at the patch of wall next to the 
window that still had the blue on it.  
 "Why don't you paint the window wall blue Mom?"  
Such a genius she is!  

The Blue is really not noticeable 
until you are all the way in the room.  
It is like a happy surprise!  
How much brighter is this room now?  
 Of course, paint leads to new rugs and accessories.  
It is the natural order of things, right?  
I found this rug at Tuesday Morning.  
I wanted to be a little less traditional in this room so that the 
house would appeal to all buyers.  
And I found some coordinating artwork at Home Goods.  
Again, I went a little less traditional.  
I added a new chambray blue chair 
as the old chair was too bulky.  
 And a new lamp from Target with a graphic lampshade in the same blue tones. 
I re-accessorized using things I already had. 
 And I am putting a huge fork in this room and calling it DONE!  

Wait!!!  Let's see a side by side Before and After!
 What do you think? 

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves,
XO

Sharing at:
Kim at SavvySouthern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays  

 Judy at DIY by Design
  Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
          Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

30 click here to Comment:

NanaDiana said...

WOW- Cindy- I think it looks GREAT! Absolutely great! I like the new color a lot and the blue wall is a nice little surprise. I think it looks a whole lot bigger, too, and like the way the color looks with the paneling. I am dreading all the stuff I am going to have to do to get ready for selling this Spring- xo Diana

Miss Char said...

Well I'm still a sucker for red but I must admit that for resale you are spot on with the new look. Also give Miss Beaux a thumbs up for the blue wall suggestion.

Calypso In The Country said...

I LOVE the way the room turned out! So much brighter and the blue is very pretty! I just bought a Target lamp with the same shade but in tan! Great job with everything!
-Shelley

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Your room looks so updated, so fresh and crisp, love the lighter tones, I find I use so much more white and light then I ever did, just find it so much more appealing...your room is full of fresh cool ideas...

Blondie's Journal said...

This is beautiful, Cindy. The paint colors you picked really keep the room warm and inviting. I love the rug and print, too, it will appeal to all sorts of people. I have a hard time with gray, it either looks too blue or too white. Great job!

XO,
Jane

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great change and I think your daughter is a designer in the making. Love the new rug and chair and great lamp.

Entertaining Women said...

Great choice. The new wall color makes the wood work look so much richer. Thanks for walking us through the process. Cherry Kay

Intangible Hearts said...

MIss Beaux truly is a genius. The blue is spectacular.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Good color choices, the room certainly does look lighter and brighter. I can't wait to see how many days it takes for your house to sell. It might not even take one, you may get a call before from a blogger!!

Jenny said...

Genius indeed! Your home looks like something right out of the pages of a magazine - perfectly styled and staged to sell! Lovely! I'm guessing your home will go quickly! Where are you moving?

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Great job! The room looks fantastic now.
I'm enjoying your staging house posts.
Besos from Argentina! Silvina

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic!! Love the color and all your new accessories! Just beautiful!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy I LOVE LOVE the new lighter and brighter look! Pretty rug and I love the way you accessorized the bookcases!

At The Picket Fence said...

What a gorgeous transformation Cindy!!! It completely opened up the space and the wood cabinets even look lighter. Well done! :-)
Vanessa
P.S. Is that chair from Cost Plus?

Maureen Wyatt said...

A plus on the changes! The office looks so much lighter and current. It's more female friendly, too, with the softer colours and new accessories. Love the chair!

Number Fifty-Three said...

Paint is amazing! The space looks light and bright. Just beautiful! (Plus, I love the new rug & lamp!)

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Wild Oak Designs said...

It is sell right away! I really like the blue accent wall and the rug....beautiful.
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I love it, I also love your boldness. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but I have lost my fearlessness. It is inspiring to see you tackle a problem as you have. I am going to keep reading, perhaps some will wear off on me. I still want to know why you are moving....too personal? Sorry

Anonymous said...

I love your office both ways but it is so much brighter with your new color. I think I would have slapped that Realtor - your office was gorgeous the way it was! ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lori said...

WOW! Lori

Karen @ A Stylish Interior said...

What a nice transformation! I hope your house sells! Visiting from Wow us Wednesdays.

Alycia Nichols said...

SOLD!!!!!!!!! The difference is remarkable, Cindy! You are making me want to do some painting around here. Problem is, I have these bad shoulders and can't do anything like that right now. Maybe I'll have to promise my friend lots of homemade dinners and desserts to get her to do the job for me! I have been chomping at the bit to repaint our dining room for a couple of years now. You did a marvelous job! I'm impressed that you whipped this out in one day AND that you were able to accessorize with things you already had on hand! LOVE it when little or no $$$ is required to make a fabulous transformation!!! The area rug you chose is really pretty, and I LOVE that chair!!!!!! Aren't you glad to see the sun finally shining the last couple of days and some rain in the forecast to wash all of this ugly, dirty snow away? Woo hoo!!! Have a great weekend!!!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Wow. It's gorgeous bright and so fresh!

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog said...

Beautiful! That lamp is amazing! I found you at Feathered Nest Friday--thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What a difference, Diana's right it does seem bigger and love the paint colors you decided on!

Denise Marie said...

It is terrific and I hope it sells your place.

Mom E. said...

Cindy,
I love the new look! I love the builtins and the wainscoating, as well....it is simply gorgeous....after all that work might you want to stay? or do you have your eye on something new already??? Love to hear about whatever it is!
Hearts to you,Betsy

Becca Bertotti said...

I love the new wall colors and accessories! Your office looks fantastic ... you better start packing because I'm sure there will be a "SOLD" sign in your front yard soon!

The Charm of Home said...

Love this change!
Sherry

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I think it looks awesome!!!!!!! It is amazing what a can of aint can do to a room. I liked the red but LOVE the new color and the new accessories. How long has your house been on the market???? Or is it on yet???? XO, pinky

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".