Beaux R'eves

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Staging Bedrooms

Well, unfortunately a cold has slowed down 
my "Getting the House Ready for Sale" 
progress.  
But that gives me time to Blog about it I guess!  
A lot of people have me asked why we are selling.  
We just want to downsize since we moved into this house with 3 kids and are now down to our last one who will go to college in a years time.  
And since we are talking about kids, 
I thought I would bring you up to date on the kids rooms 
that I have staged so far.  
I showed you some of the progress (see here)that I had made in the "Boys" room. I am happy to report that the room is complete and ready for showing. 
I wanted to share with you what my process is when I am staging a home for sale.  
What I would normally do is make an appointment 
to visit the homeowner and take pictures of each room.  
No appointment necessary so I just snapped away!  
I like to stand at the doorway of each room  
to take my pictures.  
This is what a potential buyer would see.  
YIKES!  
This is NOT sale ready!  
So, after reviewing my pictures 
I make a plan for the sellers.  
My advice would be to:
Declutter- Take down all of the posters, remove the band equipment, remove extra furniture
Paint- This room is too dark.  The lighter and brighter a space is the bigger it feels.  
Pick a focal point- The bed is the focal point in most bedrooms.
Re-accessorize- keep personal items to a minimum.

Let's see how I did.

Keep in mind that Staging is NOT Decorating.  
It's Staging your home for the sole purpose of selling.  Decorating is personal and often involves lots of ordering of fabrics and furniture and such.  
Typically when Staging you would use existing items 
or as little money as possible.
 The Staged Room
Lighter and brighter and ready for sale.
I had most of this bedding on hand.  
The pillows were purchased at Target on Clearance.  
They were the jumping off point 
for the blue and white color scheme. 
I painted the headboard in  
Old White and Cocoa.
I thought that the space above the bed needed something 
so I stole the license plates from Miss Beaux.  
I swear, I think she is a hoarder.  
Push pins are holding them on the wall. 
No sew drapes and homemade artwork 
coordinate with the bedding.
We mounted a simple rod above the window 
about 6-8 inches.  
This gives the room the height that it needs.  
I used Target tablecloths for the drapes with clip rings. 
They were on Clearance also.  
The best part was that they came in the package with the 
"tie backs" buttoned around them.
I just attached it to the wall with a push pin.  
I bought the frames and mats at Michael's and 
Googled images of blueprint horses for the artwork.
I painted the base of this Estate Sale table with ASCP in Old White.  The matching table is in the other bedroom.  A lamp and a "boy" accessory sits on top.
I painted this old chair and re-upholstered the seat in the same tablecloth striped fabric.  
I love the crisp white with the blue. 
 A few things on the desk (I removed the upper hutch that my son had) and we are ready to go.
The total cost for this room was around $100.00.  
I probably could have done it for less but I sometimes get my mind set on something and I am not happy until I get the "look" that I want.  

Before and After Time 
I'll show you the adjoining room tomorrow.
Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves
XO

Sharing at:
Kim at SavvySouthern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays  
 Judy at DIY by Design
 Roeshel  at DIY Showoff    
Stone Gable  Tutorials, Tips, and Tidbits 
 Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage

Sherry at the No Minimalist Here Open House Party
 Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party

          Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special


16 click here to Comment:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Looking good Cindy, I love the wall color and the license plates over the bed!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.

It is difficult to believe these are the same rooms.

Well done!

Maureen Wyatt said...

I've pinned the view of the bed. The pillows and licence plates are great!

Unknown said...

I really see what you mean about lighter and brighter. The new colour really makes the room look bigger too. I also am pinning the license plate idea. Looks great!

NanaDiana said...

Great job- Cindy- I am getting ready to do the same thing here as we plan on selling this Spring. You did a wonderful job of staging. I used to do a lot of it for realtors before the market crashed and I still do a few now and then- xo Diana

Susan said...

So charming! I passed those tablecloths for a month at Target and never thought of using them for drapes.

Tricia said...

I love the idea of taking photos from the doorway. Somehow, photos always show me things I don't see with my eyes alone! And I'm going to remember that Target tablecloth ides--fabulous!

Alycia Nichols said...

You're a master! This is a great transformation. It lets the potential buyer picture themselves in it rather than grimacing about what went on in there before they moved in! I am bowled over by the curtains!!!!!!! I understand the desire to downsize. You've been here...you saw how small it is...just 3200 sq. ft. We moved in a few years after we married and our kids were already old and had been on their own for some time. (Notice I didn't say WE were old! :-)) I'm not sure I would be able to keep up with a larger house, so this smaller version of home is fine with me...ESPECIALLY now that we are having work done on it inside and out. $$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

great job! staging really does make a huge difference

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Great tips Cindy, for staging a house for sale!

DIYbyDesign said...

Great advice on staging. I'm sure this will help so many people struggling to sell their homes in the tough real estate market. These days you need every advantage.

Christy James said...

Isn't it funny how it takes moving to make us tackle the simplest of projects?? This room looks so bright and fresh now:)
XO,
Christy

Bonnie said...

Great advice. The room is so much brighter.

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

Wow! You did such a great job! I love this. This gives me some ideas for my little boy's room. Thanks for sharing ;)
Jamie ~ somuchbetterwithage.com

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

The room looks fantastic. I especially love those horse pillows!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a great job - hard to believe same room.

I would love for you to link up at the Mommy Archive - we're focusing on bedrooms this week, Alice x

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".