Beaux R'eves

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Over the Top Decorating

No, I'm not talking about decor dripping 
with over the top gilt and embellishment.  
I'm simply talking about decorating the tops of my cabinets.  
It's a neglected area that I sometimes forget about 
but I tackled it this weekend and wanted to share the results with all of you.  
What prompted the redecorating frenzy was the purchase of these two new covered vegetable bowls at an Estate Sale.  
I wanted to display them in my hutch and 
started moving things around.  
Well, you know how that goes...
Everything came out and onto the island and the 
redecorating began!  
I love to tackle these projects first thing in the morning while the caffeine is still buzzing around in my system.  
Everyone is still asleep and they wake up to total chaos.  
When I took my Rooster down to display on top of my dish cupboard there was a bare spot. 
It was a great opportunity for a total makeover. 
And here it is After.  
I decided to carry the All White theme over 
to this side of the kitchen.  
I am kind of pre-planning for the holidays.
I mixed a variety of white dishes, old and new, along with ironstone pitchers and gravy boats.  
On the other side I mixed plates and platters with teacups, pitchers and my white rooster.  
A galvanized bucket filled with the last of my hydrangeas from the garden rests in the corner.
I had to raise the space over the cabinets a bit so I found a couple of shelves from the office that I had taken out and propped them up with some scrap wood.  A shoe box sits under the large pitcher and if you look really really close you can see some red peeking out.  
I repeated the same thing on the other side.  
Boy was I tired of climbing up and down 
to get everything just right!  
Changing the decor above the cabinets 
meant changing up the counter tops!  
I hung some ironstone plates in the bay window on both sides.  I love the soft yellow wall color against the white plates.
And I brought in my lavender plant and 
planted it in this large white bowl. 
  Let's see how long before I kill this plant!
This is one of my new favorite finds while Estate Sale-ing.  I'm happy that I have a prominent place to display it.  It has the initials NH on it.  I started thinking, wouldn't it be funny if it was just a decorative piece from Nell Hill's?  Kinda like the Friends episode where Rachel tells Phoebe that all of her new Pottery Barn pieces are antiques! 
A pretty floral and embossed platter adds subtle pattern to the all white dishes.
And a tiny cutwork dish (another vintage find) holds my rings and jewelry when I do dishes.
Won't this area be a perfect canvas for Christmas decorating?
Next up on my to do list is 
 to make a balloon shade for this window.  
I have had the fabric for over a year!
And for those of you who were wondering.... 
I asked for advice in my last post 
See HERE
I went with the majority vote and removed the new rug from under the kitchen table.  I loved all of your input and ideas!  Thanks!  
The rug will be finding a new home somewhere else.
Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves,
XO Cindy


Linking to:
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
  Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
  Kim at SavvySouthern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays  
 Judy at DIY by Design
   No Minimalist Here Open House Party 
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

Poutpourri Friday at 2805
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
                                     Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
 Roeshel  at DIY Showoff

   

25 click here to Comment:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Wow! You have one beautiful kitchen! I'm envious, but in a good way!! Lovely job decorating.

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

Your kitchen is simply stunning; I love all the white grouped together. Beautiful!
Nancy

sweet violets said...

Very nice change.....I use blocks and sheets of green styrofoam above the cabinets to raise the pieces up.....it is lightweight and cheap!!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Cindy, this looks fabulous! I just started doing the exact same thing!! I loved the addition of white dinnerware and white pumpkins, to the kitchen for fall; and it went from there. Your covered bowls are beautiful! You have such a beautiful collection of white pieces; and they look amazing all grouped together!

Anonymous said...

HI Cindy! I didn't think it could be any prettier and look what you've done. It's gorgeous! Your entire kitchen is gorgeous!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Wow Cindy you have an amazingly beautiful kitchen. Love all the white pieces too.

hugs
Sissie

The Vintage Chateau said...

Fabulous kitchen, I love the all white displays. I'm ready to redo my upper shelves, thanks for the ideas!
Karee

Maureen Wyatt said...

That display took a ton of work but turned out so beautifully that it was worth the effort! I've was just thinking of bringing a lavender plant in and wondering if it would do okay inside. Hmmmm ~ Maureen

Andrea said...

Your cabinets look great! I've been struggling with decorating over the top of my cabinets-it's not an easy spot to get right!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Everything looks stunning. Your kitchen is one of the prettiest I have ever seen and the ironstone just adds to its charm. I'm visiting from BNOTP and love your style. Have a good week!

Cynthia said...

The kitchen looks gorgeous and it is a gorgeous room. Love the cabinets and all the decor on top and in that niche above. Just stunning. I take everything out and start fresh too. I think that is the way to do proejtcts like this one.

Cynthia

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

What a great display across the tops of your cabinets! It looks beautiful! I love the little silver creamer too. What a treasure!

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

<3<3<3 ...over-the-top in more ways than one!! =D

Stacey said...

Your kitchen is just so pretty! That black molding over the window just sets it apart from all the rest. I love all the pieces you have up on top. You are right, it's the perfect backdrop for Christmas.

Olive said...

I am really getting into white. When I first started blogging I did not get the white in decor attraction but now I do. I certainly have always loved ironstone and yours up there looks delightful. Your kitchen is beautiful naked I am sure. Please keep the rug as I love it. xo, olive

Rooms by Ann said...

Your kitchen look's beautiful. I really love the way the white looks. Great job.

Lorna said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! Can't wait to see it ready for Christmas.

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Cindy, It looks great! Your post came at the perfect time for me. I haven't put anything on the top of my cabinets in quite a few years and have recently starting putting some of my white serving dishes, along with some Fall pieces. I needed to get something to lift my pieces up as well so that can be seen over the molding on the cabinets. I don't have any shelves but I do have some boards I can use...thanks for the idea!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Great look Cindy, I love the white and my mind is turning and wondering what you are thinking about for Christmas.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Cindy your kitchen is gorgeous!!! I love the dish display above your cabinets.

Kim said...

This has nothing to do with your post but you have my dream kitchen! I am totally going to copy it when we redo ours.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Your kitchen should be in a magazine! WOW!

Becca Bertotti said...

I love Friends(and, I remember that episode, too)! LOL. Your snowball effect of changing around your beautiful pieces worked wonderfully! I love your platters displayed on top ... all of your ironstone pieces are gorgeous, and your roos are too cute!

Unknown said...

So beautiful Cindy!

Rita said...

Your kitchen is beautiful Cindy and you made such a stunning display of all your white lovelies.
rita

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".