Beaux R'eves

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Traditions & Collections~Holiday Nutcrackers

It's a tradition in our family to take the kids 
to see The Nutcracker Ballet 
every year at the Kansas City Ballet.  
Of course now only Miss Beaux 
will go as the boys are 26 and 22.  
But Miss Beaux loves it most of all anyway!  
She has loved Nutcrackers ever since I can remember.  
She used to play with them and study 
each one in our growing collection.  
One year after Christmas Mr. Beaux and little missy 
went shopping and came home with this blingy guy 
here on the right.  
I swear she slept with him for a month after Christmas.  
I lovingly referred to him as her "boyfriend".  
And so every year I have to display 
the "Nutcracker" collection.  
(One year I just refused and I still hear about it from the kids)  It doesn't matter how old your kids get 
they still love their traditions.  
I know I do!  
This year I decided to display the collection 
in the Built in Hutch in the Kitchen/Hearth room.

This cabinet formerly held all of my white covered dishes and pitchers.  I elevated some of the nutcrackers on overturned bowls so I hid that with my fluffy snow.  The cubbies for wine bottles now hold small place card ornaments from Micheal's that were half off last year.  
 "Merry" seemed to fit these jolly guys.  
I printed the letters on card stock and cut them into squares.
The little ornaments will later make it onto one of my tablescapes I'm sure!
Because it was so busy up above, 
I kept it simple on the countertop.  
The white covered dishes are taking center stage 
with a backdrop of greenery and berries.  
The platter is from Fitz and Floyd a long long time ago.  
Again, I am mixing the old with the new...  
This covered dish is from One Kings Lane 
while the others are vintage finds from Estate Sales.
This vintage pitcher is filled with faux pepper berries and ribbon from Pottery Barn that I found last year at the After Christmas Sales.  
Of course, I have to add something sentimental 
that the kids made!  
I bring out this Christmas tree dish every year 
that one of the boys made.  
This year I placed a cute little burlap tree 
in it from Nell Hill's.  
What Traditions and Holiday Collections do you have?  
I would love to know!  
Thanks for coming by for a visit.  

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves,
XO Cindy

 Joining:
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for



 Susan at Between Naps on the Porch
   Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

13 click here to Comment:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Cindy, your nutcracker collection is wonderful; and you have showcased it beautifully! Everything looks so pretty; and the white dishes are lovely with the Fitz and Floyd platter. Beautiful!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, my, I love your collection. I only have about six or so, but usually display them. I need to go get some more.

Sue said...

LOVE the nutcrackers. I have started taking my grands to the ballet too. We have been twice, but this year we are going to see The NIght Before Christmas so the 3 yr old can come. He is a little too young for the Nutcracker. But next year!!
I have used the theme the "Nutcracker Suite" for my granddaughter's bedroom. So much fun. I collect German nutcrackers, but only have a few. Thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas Cindy.

Suzy said...

Wow oh wow - what a fabulous collection of nutcrackers! And a sweet story to go with them. Your hutch is just perfect. BTW - my hubby lived in KC (Overland Park) for seventeen years and loved it!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love your beautiful collection of Nutcrackers...i love them too and have a small tree of them...and love the vignette of the covered dishes...they look so fantastic with the holiday decor!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love love love!!

Sue said...

Fabulous collection of nutcrackers....beautifully displayed

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Going to the Nutcracker Ballet at Christmas is always magical. I have a collection of nutcrackers too. We buy a new one every year. I feel guilty. I wasn't going to get them out this year, but you are right the kids do love these traditions. Yours look like they were made for that spot! Very pretty! I love your covered dishes!!
Karen

Andrea said...

your collection is beautiful! I love the nutcracker ballet, as well =)

Karen said...

Your nutcracker display looks gorgeous. The counter vignette is pretty too.

Eclectically Vintage said...

Love that your kids were upset when you didn't display that gorgeous collection! I love making memories for my girls - that's what Christmas is all about!
Kelly

Unknown said...

We were just looking up tickets for the Nutcracker at The Fox (Atlanta). My 12 year old daughter loves it - and since she loves all things "Nutcracker", I can't wait to show her this cute vignette!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I love your collection of nutcrakers!!! I wish I had more, just a few. BUT, I have collected Santas for almost 30 years now so have a HUGE collection! I love them all. Have you ever seen Robin Macgraws Christmas book? It is gorgeous and she has a HUGE collection of nutcrackers, you would love to see it. XO, pinky

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".