Beaux R'eves

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Refreshing the Guest Room Bath



I'm still really excited about my new blog design!  
I feel so Fancy!  
Besides my new blog look and my organizing 
(yes, I have more of that to tell you about), 
I have been busy, busy, busy getting ready for company.  
My mom is coming to visit this weekend and she will be staying 
for a few weeks.  I can't wait!  
I love spending time with her and look forward 
to lots of lunches and shopping and some sewing 
that I might be able to talk her into. Wink, Wink!  
If you remember last year I redid my guest room in the basement.  There is an adjoining bathroom that never got painted or re-done.  It's not that there was anything major to be done 
but it did need a fresh coat of paint.  
So, while my boys were having a "guys" day at the movies, 
I got to painting! 
I LOVE painting!  
Call me crazy but I would rather paint than do just about anything!  I put my headphones on and start taping and spackling 
and get excited when I open that can of paint.
OK, here is what the bathroom looked like before.  
It is your basic builder grade bathroom with a small vanity, 
bisque cultured marble countertop and the walls 
were painted a Khaki color.  
It didn't relate to the guest room at ALL.  
But, because it is downstairs it was easy to ignore.  
It is a nice size with a shower/tub combo and has 
slate looking tiled floors.  
OK, here is a funny thing.  
I had edited out the switch in the other pictures.  
It always makes me laugh when I see this switch on the wall 
above the paper holder.  
My builder, bless his heart, thought this was the most convenient place to put the fan switch.  
It was too late to change it and now it just makes me giggle.  
That is the difference between men and women I guess.
 This is the view into the common area.  
There is a door into the bath and a door into the guest room.  
We actually have another powder room in the basement 
so this bathroom barely gets used.  
On to the painting!
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! I barely spent ANY money on Refreshing this bath. The color is the same as the guest room 
Steamed Milk Sherwin Williams 7554.  
It really lightens up this room and makes it feel very spa-like.  
You have seen these vintage painted frames before.  
I used them in my Fall post in my dining room.  
I love using white towels in all of my bathrooms.  
Whites are easy to take care of and when they get too ratty 
they go to the rag pile for cleaning.  
I did buy these pretty new hand towels 
to add a bit more of the aqua color.  
I purchased the basket at Tuesday Morning 
and put together the silver tray~towel holder 
with my Estate Sale finds.  
I had intentions of buying a NEW mirror for the vanity.  
I went to a few places to scout out mirrors but I was unwilling 
to pay $80.00 for something 
that I really didn't like that much.  
So, out came the spray paint!  
I think it's perfect and for $5.00 it's really PERFECT!!!  
The accessories and the shower curtain remained for now.  
But they look like they belong now in this spa-like bath.
I saw the cutest idea on Pinterest a while back...  
Someone in blogland had made a towel holder with the silver trays and a bottle holder.  
I always find little silver trays at Estate Sales for 4 or 5 dollars (or less on half price day).  
So, when I saw this simple bottle holder at an Estate Sale for $1.00 
I figured I would get that idea up on the wall.  
I hope Mom like her new digs!  

More to come on the guest room refreshing!  

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves
XO

sharing at:

Kim at SavvySouthern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays  

 Judy at DIY by Design
   Roeshel  at DIY Showoff  
Stone Gable  Tutorials, Tips, and Tidbits Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday


   No Minimalist Here Open House Party     
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Heather and Va
nessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party


          Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special



39 click here to Comment:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sooooo pretty Cindy!! I love to paint too, I find it very relaxing! Beautiful makeover!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy! I'm so happy for you that your mother is coming to visit. I'm close with my mother like this too. Now the bathroom is so lovely! I really like the soft colors and those silver trays are gorgeous. Your mother will feel so special.
be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Oh, Cindy, the bath is so pretty! Love the silver trays with the pretty blue towels! The wall color looks great, as well! What a pretty retreat for your mom!

Janette - The2Seasons said...

The colors are so soft and inviting.

OldThingsNew said...

Oh, I just love all the soft colors in your home. How peaceful. I found you at Common Ground's linky party. Patti

Deserae said...

Just beautiful....love the paint color!!!! The fan switch placement made me laugh too! Have a fun visit with your mom :o)
~Des

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great bright and spa like bathroom. Your mom will be so comfortable. Enjoy your time with her.

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Love the Steamed Milk color and especially love the silver tray towel holder. It's soooo romantic looking.

Sue said...

What a peaceful oasis for your mother to enjoy, Cindy! Crack me up with the fan switch plate placement. Kudos to you for liking to paint. I hate that job and I'd rather wallpaper. My 20 foot high entry and great room are in need of a color change, but that job will definitely be hired out. . Going up a ladder that high would freak me out!

Pamela said...

OMG I love you towel holder!!! We have the exact same toilet paper basket!;) I got mine at HomeGoods and it is in the half bath. Love all your touches. Have fun with your mama! I cant wait till mine comes in March. Hoping she can stay longer now that my step dad is retired. Thanx for partying!!

Pamela said...

P.s Love your new blog design! I need one too.

J9sHappiness said...

What a gorgeous makeover! Your mum will love spending time there - well done! I love painting too - normally I do furniture - but it's good fun! Enjoy your time together, J9 x

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your bathroom makeover is so pretty. I love, love the silver trays on the towel holder. Love the wall color too.

hugs
Sissie

Maria Elena said...

Your bathroom looks gorgeous!!! Love the colors. Every accent is perfect. Very pretty!

Nann said...

Beautiful Cindy! Love all your special touches. You've done a marvelous job. Unfortunately painting is not my cup of tea....so how about coming to my house (smile>)

PS Love your new blog design too! N.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Cindy! Love the silver trays with the towel color. I just found a small silver tray at Goodwill and now I'm looking for two more to hang on the wall.

Robin Johnson said...

You have created such a pretty space. All the lovely details makes it so charming.

Mom E. said...

Cindy!
I love the Re-do! The blog AND the ROOM!!! I have been trying to re-do a bit here and there and I need to focus on one room, I get overwhelmed becasue I want to do it all at once. The room I need to do first is going to be the REALLY big job.....I guess I'll just have to think of it as eating the biggest frog first....! The other rooms will be FUN after that. The big Job will be the most rewarding, however, so I best just get on with it! By the way, I am looking for your carpet! I was looking at your new header and I wondered, is that the same carpet in your dining room, too? I love it....the carpet places I have checked here don't carry it, but I will not stop. I may have to drive a few hours to find somewhere that will get it for me.....
Have a wonderful time with your Mother....I would LOVE it if I could spend another few weeks with my Mother...So, hugs her lots for me....I just send my messages to my Mother in prayer....
Hearts to you and your Mother,
Betsy

Unknown said...


What a great post to enjoy on this Winter's day... I have been busy with some decorating and craft projects this week and behind on reading my emails and posts. So glad I stopped in to enjoy your site!

Thanks for sharing!
God bless....Brooke

http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/
My home and garden site...

http://brookekroeger.blogspot.com/
My Vintage Art and Printables site...

Anonymous said...

Love the silver tray towel holder, sweet, and the color of the walls look pinkish on my computer, is thismso? Great new digs for mom...suek

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I love your updated bathroom. The towel holder is such a smart idea.

lynn cockrell said...

I tried to comment on the bathroom earlier but for some reason it didn't seem to publish. Anyway, it is beautiful!

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Thanks for this inspiration. We have a basement guest bath that I haven't touched since we had it built last year when we moved in. I was so busy fixing up everything else, that I have been ignoring it. It is my early 2013 project.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved your post. I have just recently noticed that my powder room could use an update, so I have started collecting ideas...I wish I liked to paint walls, I paint glassware and do paintings on canvas as a business but can't paint the first wall! You have inspired me to step it up!
Jenna

My Shabby Chic Home said...

It's great!!! love the colours!!!!
Have a nice day!

The Charm of Home said...

This is fabulous! Love the color on the frames! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Wild Oak Designs said...

My favorite idea from you is the silver tray in back of the towel! I love that.
All the redone guest bathrooms is making me look at mine again.
Thanks for the ideas!
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Oh, it is pretty and fancy! Both your bathroom and blog! Love all the changes. Your towel holder is stunning and I like all of your soft aqua touches. Pretty towels with the aqua roses!
Karen

Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

I just came across your site and love your new blog look, the colors are beautiful! and I love the tray towel rack, I'm going to have to do that for my bathroom! I would love for you to share it at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase if you would like to participate in our craft party!

http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2013/01/saturday-show-licious-craft-showcase-16.html

{Hugs}
Marti

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

love the light and airy colors! well done

Alycia Nichols said...

First, congratulations on your new blog look! I meant to say something on the other post where I left a message, but I forgot. It looks great! A total "designer" look! Will you PLEASE come slap some of that love of painting into me??!?!?!! I can't stand it!!! I want to...I really do! I just can't go there! I think it's the taping and spackling that turns me off the most. I love the smell of a freshly painted room, but someone else has to have done the painting! GREAT job on the mirror!!! It really looks terrific in the room!!! I plan to transform a few around here when it warms up enough to break out the spray paint. What exactly was the builder thinking when he put that switch there??!?!?!! Men!!! I have a rack similar to yours, and I just must, must, must glamorize my powder room with trays as you did! What a fabulous idea!!! I am SO going to do that! Try to stay warm!!!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Your guest bath is lovely! The colors are wonderful and the silver trays add sparkle.
Hugs, Sherry

Tanya Rachelle said...

The silver and towels are just Perfect! So lovely.
~Tanya

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

What a beautiful bathroom! You did a great job

Marjolein said...

Wow...what a lovely ideas
Vintagelein

hazlett said...

Its a wonderful post and very helpful, thanks for all this information. You are including better information regarding this topic in an effective way.Thank you so much
Women's Bath Changing Robes

hazlett said...

Really Good tips and advises you have just shared. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a piece of nice information. Looking forward for more views and ideas, Keep up the good work! Buy Men's Changing Robes

Lucifer Smith said...

COMPRESSED COTTON TOWEL

John Boult said...

The most affordable option for new bathroom suites is a Double Ended Bath. They’re so versatile and can be used for more than you might think! They can be fitted with a shower and screen to transform it into a shower bath too so you can be extra flexible with how you wash.

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".