Beaux R'eves

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Prom Pre-Party Ideas

Miss Beaux's Prom was on Saturday 
and the pictures were at our house.  
I wanted it to be special 
since this would be her last High School Dance.  
She has a great group of friends 
that are all good kids and a lot of fun.  
So, I planned a kind of Prom Pre-Party 
for them and I thought 
I would share the details with all of you.
Let's face it Prom is a long night!  
I didn't want to take up too much of their Prom time 
so I wanted to keep it short.  
I knew that pictures 
would take up quite a bit of time 
so I planned for about one hour 
for the total party.
The theme of their Prom was "Northern Lights" 
and their school colors are Blue and Silver,
so I planned my decorations around those perimeters.
I set up a buffet on the kitchen island 
with just a few appetizers.   
Of course, we started with Mocktails.  
The kids love the paper straws!  
For the Mocktails, 
I just set out some sparkling Lemonade, 
Sparkling Cranberry juice, 
and Sparkling Cran-raspberry  juice 
and let them mix it up.
I filled some mason jars 
with colored marbles and a candle.  
I also set out lots of little candles around the buffet.
I first folded a white table cloth in half 
and I placed it on the island.  
I used Deco-mesh in blue and silver 
and twisted it as a runner down 
the center of the display. 
It was  a pretty simple set up actually.  
Miss Beaux doesn't like for me to fuss over her 
so I tried to keep it minimalistic.  
I made finger food 
that was purchased at Trader Joe's.  
Teriyaki Meatballs'
Fried Mac and Cheese Balls
Stuffed Mushrooms
and
Little Mini Vanilla Cupcakes
It is important to make sure 
that the food isn't messy or difficult to eat.  
We don't want their Prom attire 
to get dirty before they even get pictures taken.
Scope out prime spots for photos.  
That is your job as the Pre-Party hostess!  
Mr. Beaux and I walked around the yard 
to find the prettiest photo spots.  
Our Lilac bush is in full bloom in the front yard 
so we moved our bench over in front of it for pictures.  
Doesn't it make a great backdrop?
Of course we had the obligatory "Stair" shot 
that all of the parents love.  
The hardest part of my job 
was orchestrating the photos.  
The other parents are looking to you for direction.  
I had a list of "Photo Ops" 
that I knew I wanted to have.  
Corsage/Boutineer photo, 
Girls Only, 
Guys Only, 
Group Photo, 
and Couples.  
Within that list I knew I had certain poses 
that I wanted them to try.  
I searched on Pinterest to get some ideas 
for fun photos.  
Remember, the kids are excited and busy talking to each 
other so you have to really try and get their attention!  
I LOVE candid shots 
so I made sure that my camera 
was set for continuous shooting 
to capture all of the  fun!  
I wanted some fun pictures too 
so I gave the kids some ideas 
and they took off and ran with them.  
These pictures had all of the kids 
and the parents laughing!  
I made small party favor bags 
for the kids to take with them.  
Inside were mints, chocolates, suckers, 
 mustaches for the boys 
and hair ties for the girls.  
 The Boys had a lot of laughs with them.  
It helps to do things like this 
to lighten the mood and relax 
the kids before the dinner and dance.  
Soon, it was time for them to enter the Limo 
and take off for the Prom.  
We waved goodbye and 
I'm sure that I cried a little too.  
These are forever memories for them 
and for the parents.  
Remember to edit your photos and share 
a few on Facebook for the 
kids to look at during the night.
Then put your feet up, get a real cocktail
and RELAX...
until Graduation!
I hope my Prom Pre-Party tips help you plan a smashing 
party for the "young adults"!

Until Next Time,
Beaux R'eves

11 click here to Comment:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

How sweet of you and how SPECIAL you made this time for them. Bravo, well done, ma'am!

I think your pics are priceless - your planning and thoughts really shows.

Grammy Goodwill said...

My daughter graduated from high school in 1999. While we didn't have any big plans like yours (looks like so much fun, BTW) we always took pictures in front of the "prom bush". It was a beautiful spirea, I think, and it bloomed every year just in time for the prom.

Basil6 said...

You certainly helped make this a most memorable experience! What fun......These are the memories that you will share with your daughter for years to come. As a former Prom Adviser (retired) this is a great way to start the evening and keeps kids from coming up with their own creative (????) pre- and post-prom activities. What a festive and SAFE way to kick off the night!

Sarah said...

Cindy, we don't have children, and it's been decades since my own prom, but this was a fun post for me. I don't recall any pre-prom parties, just photos at home with our parents. No limos either. I grew up in a small town. But we did go out to breakfast after the prom. Early morning hours. Not sure that makes sense, but that was tradition in our town. I remember we were a group of at least 10 couples at a restaurant in a nearby larger town. A very thoughtful gentleman who was there eating picked up our tab. Wasn't that a thoughtful thing to do? Obviously I still remember it. Congratulations to your graduating senior!

Sue said...

Such a fun time in your daughter's life and you made it extra special for her. She'll always remember it.

Jeanette said...

Wow, you really did it up for your daughter and her friends. Everything looked so beautiful. The kids looked great too. I am always wowed when I see how the styles of dresses are always changing as well as the colors. My prom seems like it was a million years ago. There is so much more now with pre prom and the prom than there was when I was that age. I hope that she had a wonderful time. It's such a fun night!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a beautiful group of young ladies and gents..how nice of you to provide them with a fantastic pre-Prom party...everything looked wonderful and love the backdrop of the gorgeous lilacs!!!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job making the obligatory photos into a "partee." I loved the favor bags, especially the mustaches!

The Lavender Bouquet said...

What a great Mom you are! Such a lovely pre-party for the kids. Love the photo shoot and simple drinks and nibbles!!

Mindie Hilton said...

I had so much fun at my prom. This looks like a beautiful pre party. Please come share at the Anything Goes linky, if you have not already.

sabina moon said...

entertainment is the part of life. if you want to enjoy your life. you need must enjoy it. we are provide you to chat in online, join with dance club, music, Hollywood Disco, TV show, bar and grill.
Party ideas

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment and let me know what you think, or just say "Hi".